Monday, June 25, 2007

Spanakopita : An Obsession




At the risk of sounding freakishly Rachel Rayish, my relationship with this flaky, Greek goodie started in a dining hall on Mt. Olympus Drive (<--how weirdly appropriate) at Syracuse University. The usual "cereal-bagel-and whatever other carbs I can cram onto my tray" diet was getting old, and I couldn't help but gravitate towards the gleaming, golden triangles, basking under the neon cafeteria lights. What began as an impulsive decision soon became a full-fledged filo fetish and only grew when I moved to Astoria, Queens, about a year ago...as I scoured the city, searching for the perfect pie, I inadvertantly put together a "Best Of" list
which you are treated to here. Thank me later ;).

1. THE NEPTUNE DINER (3105 Astoria Blvd Astoria, NY, 11102)
Voted "The Best Diner in Queens" (and that's a credential!), The Neptune boasts a delicious spanakopita, crammed with herbs and feta, accompanied by a delicious side salad...so all you Manhattan snobs, wrinkling your noses at the thought of crossing the Queensboro Bridge, stick it out on an N train for an extra 15 minutes and you will not be sorry.

2.ATHENS CAFE (3207 30th Ave Astoria, NY 11102)
Maybe its the breezy ambience that adds an extra sumthin-sumthin to their version of spinach pie, but whatever the ingredient, Athens's authentic rendition (no side salad)can be enjoyed while people-watching in the heart of Astoria. The added bonus:
The cafe's star waiter, whom I've dubbed "Superman," for his breakneck water pouring skills.

3.RAINBOW FALAFEL (26 E 17th St, New York 10003)
A trusted,fellow connoiseur tells me that this blink-and-you'll-miss-it Union Square joint is his ultimate mood lifter, thanks to their impeccable crust, straddling the line between flaky and firm...and their falafels aren't bad, either.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

does that connoiseur's name happen to be Jay? i swear that kid dreams of spinish pie.

Unknown said...

hey was that the same dining hall that you dubbed me arnold? hahaha

Love the food post!