Monday, June 4, 2007

The Best Elevator Music I Ever Heard (aka, "An Ode to the Cosbys")



I still remember the humble beginnings to my Cosby Show affliction. I had just finished the 2nd grade, and was spending the summer in a monsoon-soaked Mumbai. While my mom was out on her routine sari shop expedition, my younger sister, Anisha and I would choose the stay-at-home option, which usually involved a pathetic attempt at channel surfing (this was before the glitzy MTV Desi days) and staring out the window of our Nani's 8th floor apartment, overlooking the gusty Arabian Sea. On one such listless afternoon, Anisha and I came across a dusty set of video tapes, tucked away in the bottom shelf of the VCR. Intrigued--and hopelessly bored--we popped a tape in. And there they were. The Cosbys. In their immaculate Brooklyn home with their perpetually stocked refrigerator (sidenote: what was with the never-ending supply of apple juice? and who did the groceries?). In my eyes, they were sheer perfection--they showed me that a dad could willingly stay at home and take care of his feverish five-year-old, that a pet fish is entitled to a funeral, and that there's no problem that a bacon burger dog can't solve.

And so, in honor of the Cosbys...

-Huxtapalooza- (<--okay so I stole that from a Nick at Nite special but its cute, no?)

Best Line: "She's late, but looks good. You're just late!" (The community center dude, Chester, on Cliff's tardiness)

Best Guest Character: Mrs. Westlake (The dragon lady, aka Theo's geometry teacher who receives a "Get Well" card in the shape of a parallelogram)

...TBC...

No comments: